Thursday, May 22, 2014

book



The longest time I look at books is when I exercise for my back. I stand in front of the computer, do whatever a lady there shows is the best for the back and while repeating devoutly everything I stare at shelf backs of our books. And usually I see something I didn't know was there.
So I noticed this book. It is about children's photography. In the 1970s, the author, a photographer herself, lead a course for school kids in Appalachia. The kids were taking pictures of their families, making self-portraits and, which is the freaky part, presentation of their dreams. One series like that is called I dreamt the twins tried to kill each other. The kids were passionate photographers but once they reached puberty, the fantasy and interest wasn't there anymore. I like the atmosphere of the pictures, time period and the whole process of making a thing to happen. The way the kids are eager for something interesting going on.

7 comments:

alessandra said...

i remember the 70's as a rather odd time, great books! you should look at your books more often, what other treasure is forgotten on your shelves?
xo

alessandra said...

as a rather odd times. full stop....then great book! ;))

Bohemian girl said...

Alessandra, for me the odd times, somewhat ugly despite the fact I was young, are the 1980s. in the 70s I was preschool, and it was great. O don't remember much of it. I don't know what makes us feel romantic for the past. I am into the time that I "only caught by its tail", so to speak.

alessandra said...

In Italy they were odd, because we had a huge oil crisis, lots of unemployment, the red brigade and many innocent people murdered by terrorists, it was a time of turmoil. When going to the post office or to the bank with mum we had to wait outside few meters away because there was an armed robbery almost
every week. They were odd times, but I also have lots of good memories. I hated the 80's for the waste, the hedonism, the consumerism, the politics, the shallowness, the padded shoulders the pop music, the silly hairdos...;^)

alessandra said...

In Italy they were odd, because we had a huge oil crisis, lots of unemployment, the red brigade and many innocent people murdered by terrorists, it was a time of turmoil. When going to the post office or to the bank with mum we had to wait outside few meters away because there was an armed robbery almost
every week. They were odd times, but I also have lots of good memories. I hated the 80's for the waste, the hedonism, the consumerism, the politics, the shallowness, the padded shoulders the pop music, the silly hairdos...;^)

Bohemian girl said...

It is an interesting account of the time, Alessandra. Hedonism and consumerism, that was also here, although it might seem strange. The society was going down. And politics with it. 70s and 80s here, it is what we call Normalisation today. And we were talking how the features of it were typical for the USA of the time too. How about the 1990s?

alessandra said...

I would love to have this conversation over a tea or coffee! I love to know about history and most of all from the people who lived it. I'm back from Berlin and aside from the new facade that I enjoyed very much with all its vibrant scene I was interested by the sign of the past, the scars it has left and the way people have coped with its heaviness. I'm glad germans are still commemorating and remembering, unlike in Italy, people seems have forgotten what happened less than a century ago.
The 90's seemed pretty dull but in reality they were heavy of dramatic events and for example in Italy people are still paying a huge price for what happened then. All in all it seems that we hardly ever learn something.
Hope one day to visit. x