Monday, February 23, 2009

Love




We have been looking at a picture book with my son and at one point he always gets excited about one scene and he wants me to read and narrate it over and over and it suddenly reminds me how I used to get excited like that myself while reading a book, one scene or a picture would represent the whole world for me where I wanted to live and be and I would develop my own stories within that scene and it was always such a warming feeling. All the warmth of the love from my parents and safety of my home, all the nice things that I could remember, playing with my cousin, all suddenly condensed in one picture or a scene and the whole world was so bright! How was that happening? How did that work? I need to know that now!

P.S. Do you know that feeling?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a nice book! The pictures are so simple and yet so delicatly detailed. I think it's wonderful that a child's imagination can transcend the page of a book, and that an adult can have one memory that triggers back their childhood world!

Merruli said...

I know the feeling. There are a couple of poems that bring me right back to the safest moments of my childhood. I remember the exact pace and sound how my mum used to read them. Those bedtime poems where a world of their own, filled with pictures and stories beside the actual words.

Bohemian girl said...

This is exactly what I meant...

Andrea Tachezy said...

Já to mám spojené s babičkou, jak moc bych si přála, aby mi zase někdy chvíli četla...

Jill said...

i never get tired of looking at picture books! i still have many of mine from childhood...the pictures transport me to another time and place. recently my daughter put away many of her picture books to make room for "chapter books". i ended up putting them in our living room bookshelves because i can't bear to put them in storage where i can't see them!

Jill said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bohemian girl said...

Mně vůbec přijde, že četly a čtou jenom babičky. Někomu dokonce vyprávěly.

Jill, you know what I did with my kids' books? I sold them, I was around 16, and me I my brother sold many beautiful books into a used books store. We weren't going to need them, or were we? Now I buy them back for much more.

Andrea Tachezy said...

Já jsem měla všechny svoje dětské knihy u rodičů ve sklepě na Vinohradech. V určitém období jsem je tak nějak nepotřebovala. A když přišla doba, kdy mi začaly scházet, zjistila jse, že sklep vykradli bezdomovci a celé moje dětství je fuč! Bohužel tam byly i knihy po mojí mamince, které se dnes neseženou ani v antikvariátech. Ach jo, jak je to mládí pitomé. Dneska už bych je nedala z ruky, natož do sklepa!

Anonymous said...

I do know that feeling! Wish I knew the secret formula for creating it though...